Deadline: May 20, 2018 @ midnight
Eligibility: Open to all artists in the Hamilton area, including Mustard Seed members, staff, and board members
The Mustard Seed is turning 5 next year – a big accomplishment that we want our co-op to be able to celebrate. One of our primary outreach tools over the past 5 years has been our annual Holiday Bag, each one designed by a different local artist. We are looking for an artist to donate an illustration for this year’s holiday bag.
Sketches or images, along with the application form, must be submitted by May 20, 2018. The artist(s) will receive significant recognition via communications to our members, social media, and CHCH news along with a 10 empty jute bags with their artwork and a $100 gift card as an honourarium.
- Submissions should reflect or speak to the values of The Mustard Seed Co-op (health, community, environment, local economy). Recent examples are in the above image. Local food-related themes are preferred.
- Submissions from artists working with any medium are acceptable, but the final artwork will need to be reproduced as an illustration (silk screen print) with no more than 2 colours.
- Final illustration to be in vectorized format with 2 Pantone colours chosen for printer to work with
- Image area to be max 14″w x 12″h (size of Mustard Seed jute bag)
How to Apply
Please submit the following via email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- An email with your name, whether you are a Co-op member (not required!) or are affiliated with The Mustard Seed in any way (i.e. farmer, staff)
- Artist(s)’ statement, which should include:
- Description of your work/style as an artist
- what your proposed design for the illustration on this year’s holiday bag might look like
- Maximum of 5 relevant digital images/sketches from artist’s portfolio
For more information, questions or concerns regarding your application, please contact Emma Cubitt for The Mustard Seed, email@example.com.
Anticipated Timeline of Project
May 20th, 2018: Deadline for Submission
May 25, 2018: Commissioning of Artists/Decision Communicated
June 15, 2018: Submission of Draft Artwork
June 30, 2018: Final draft of artwork to be sent to bag supplier/printer with 1000 bags printed (note: we need this much lead time to avoid the disappointment of not having our holiday bags until after December, as was the case 2 years ago)